Soumyajit is a Ph.D. candidate of Economics with a focus on International Development and Sustainability. Originally from Calcutta; he received his Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Honors and Master of Arts (M.A.) degrees in Economics from Visva-Bharati University, and Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) degree from University of Calcutta, India. Before coming to the US, he used to work as a Research Assistant at the Institute of Development Studies Kolkata. Currently, he is working as a Teaching Assistant at the Department of Economics, UNM; and as a Research Assistant at the UNM College of Population Health. In recent times, he received the J. Raymond Stuart Award in Economics from the Department of Economics, UNM. He is also a recipient of the Ruddar Dutt Memorial Award in Economics from the Indian Society of Labour Economics. Apart from regular teaching and research activities, he is actively engaged with the Project for New Mexico Graduates of Color (PNMGC) at the UNM.
- Quantitative Methods
- Development Economics
- Labor Economics
- International Development & Sustainability
- Labor Economics
- Economics of Gender & Caste
- Health Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- Applied Econometrics
- Institutional Economics
- Political Economy.
- Chakraborty, S. & Kharga, K. (2017). India: A ‘Flawed’ Democracy – Natural for Global South, in L. Lobo and J. Shah (ed.) Democracy in India: Current Debates and Challenges, Primus Books (ISBN: 978-93-84082-94-9).
- Chakraborty, S. (2016). Occupational Sex Segregation: An Inquiry into Indian Job Market. Journal of Regional Development and Planning, 5(2), 1.
- Chowdhury, S. & Chakraborty, S. (2016). Employment Growth in West Bengal: An Assessment, Occasional Paper 52, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata (No. id: 10935).
- Chakraborty, S. (2014). Development Indicators vis-à-vis Separatist Movements: A Socio-economic overview of Rural North Bengal. Palli Charcha – The Bi-annual Indian Journal of Rural Studies, 1(1), 48.
- Chakraborty, S. (2014). A Commentary on Health Insecurity in Bolpur-Sriniketan Community Development Block, Birbhum, West Bengal, in P. K. Chattopadhyay (ed.) Growth and Diversification: Aspects of Rural Development, New Delhi Publishers (ISBN: 078-93-81274-78-1).
- Chakraborty, S. (2013). Foreign Direct Investment in the Last Half-decade: Where China and India stand among BRIC? In Foreign Direct Investment in Indian Retail Sector, Indus Valley Publications (ISBN: 81-88719-72-2).
Current Research Projects:
- Role of Discrimination in Gender and Socioreligious Earnings Gap: Recent Evidence from India [near completion].
- Barriers to Success for STEM Students at the UNM: Cases for Women, Minorities, and Underserved Populations [survey designing stage with the IRB].
- Agronomical Knowledge in Crop Diversification and Adoption of Hybrid Seeds: A Case Study of Nepal [intermediate stage].
- Issues of Sustainable Development and Migration in South Asian Countries [initial stage].
- Institutional Quality in Home Countries and Return Migrants: A Survey Design [initial stage].