Skip to main content

Department History

The Department of Economics, established in 1917, has a long and proud history, Initially, the department focused solely on undergraduate education. The Master of Arts in Economics was added in 1947 and the Doctor of Philosophy in Economics was added in 1966. In the decades since, our graduates have distinguished themselves in public service, research, teaching, and private enterprise. We are proud of each and every one of them.

Today the Department continues its long tradition of applied economics research in environmental and resource economics, public economics, and international development and sustainability. Our goal is to provide our students an educational opportunity that prepares them for the 21st century and the challenges and opportunities that face them.

As faculty, we work to improve the well-being of communities.

Learn more about our research, faculty, and graduate students.